With a view to bringing people together and achieving critical, open and meaningful dialogue, the Dialogue Society organises a range of discussion forums in different formats throughout the year at its headquarter offices in Islington and its branches across the UK. Discussions include a wide range of issues related to Dialogue Society areas of interest, encompassing topics, and speakers, beyond the usual remit of dialogue organisations. They attract diverse policy-makers, academics, researchers, journalists, professionals, students, community leaders and others. Through this engaging and expansive platform, speakers and members of the audience engage in constructive and critical dialogue on a miscellany of issues affecting their personal, professional and communal lives.
By introducing innovative discussion formats the Dialogue Society reaches out to a broader audience. The Straight Talk series is based on searching interviews with leading thinkers, conducted by prominent journalists. Street Dialogue takes dialogue to the streets of North London and beyond, inviting members of the public to share their perspectives on issues that matter to them. Dialogue Society discussion forums also include more prolonged dialogues in an academic context: academic workshops and conferences. Such events provide a rigorous, methodical context for the scrutiny and evaluation both of dialogue practices and of social and political issues pertinent to these. They also encourage fruitful interaction between people engaged in academia, policy, and the community.
Types of Discussion Forums
- Panel discussions
- Roundtable discussions
- Straight Talk
- Workshops and conferences
- Street Dialogue
Areas of interest covered
- Community cohesion and multiculturalism
- Identity, integration and citizenship
- Family, education and youth
- Media, culture and communication
- Human rights and civil liberties
- Theology and religious studies
- World cultures and societies
- Peace-building and conflict resolution
- International relations and diplomacy
- For speakers at Dialogue Society discussion forums click here.
- For a list of past discussion forums in London please see the list below. Listings of events at Dialogue Society branches across the country are available here.
- For Street Dialogue podcasts please click here.