The seminar will explore the following issues:
- How does one become a local councillor?
- What are the responsibilities of the Council? What does your Council Tax pay for?
- The role of the Council’s Administration
- Elected councillors and Council officers
- The back-bench councillor and ward representative
- The Council working in partnership
The initial presentation will be followed by questions and discussion
Councillor Vinson gave a clear and engaging explanation of the structure and responsibilities of the Council and the role of councillors. He encouraged participants to get involved with local and national politics. Participants, largely from the local Turkish community, enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about how local government works and to ask questions and engage in discussion.