This manual will help you to successfully plan and organise a community fair in your local area, bringing a large part of the community together for a fun and memorable day out. This sort of large and enjoyable local event can boost community spirit and encourage interaction between different sectors of the local population. This manual will advise you on a range of ways in which you can enhance the positive impact of your fair on the community.
This manual is part of a series of ten Community Dialogue Manuals developed by the Dialogue Society to encourage interaction between members of different communities.
About Community Dialogue Manuals
The primary aim of the series is to help people to bring their communities together through a number of approaches and events that the Dialogue Society has found successful. We have always found that the most successful events have been those with clear objectives and where attention has been paid to detail.
The Dialogue Society launched its series of ten Community Dialogue Manuals to encourage interaction between members of different communities. The manuals provide tangible ideas, know-how, and resources to both motivate and support people and groups to reach out to one another and strengthen social cohesion.
The Community Dialogue Manuals suggest 65+ ideas and projects (35+ are detailed and dialogue related), total 650 pages, contain 100+ sample documents and include 200+ references to other helpful websites and resources.
Aims and Objectives:
- To encourage community spirit
- To encourage different community groups, stakeholders and businesses to come together to work in partnership
- To facilitate neighbourly and community interaction
- To encourage the opening up of different communities to one another by bringing them together in a relaxed and sociable context
- To include those who may not necessarily be interested in intercultural dialogue in an event which brings different groups together for a fun day out
- To encourage and support individuals and groups to engage in dialogue
- To help community groups and charities successfully raise funds for their own work/for good causes popular among the local community
- To provide strategies, tips, advice and know-how for organising a successful event
Who Is This Manual For?
Charities, community groups, faith groups, schools and local authorities looking to:
- Bring the local community together for an enjoyable day out, promoting community spirit, dialogue, social cohesion and citizenship
- Raise funds for their work and/or for other good causes